Friday, August 10, 2007

I did it!


So, if you read my really silly blog entry about smart people you know I challenged myself to read a whole book.

I actually finished the best book I have ever read in my life. It's called The Hiding Place. I must have wept at least 8 times through out the whole book. The story takes place in Holland during WWII. It's about a wonderful Christian lady name Corrie Ten Boom. She and her amazing family go underground to courageously help the Jewish people. The main character and her sister have so much courage, backbone, and faith in God. You won't believe what they go through.

If you need a book that defines Christianity, this is it! It will blow your mind and change your life.

I checked to see if you could check it out at the library and it is available at several branches.

I heard about this book because my very well read mother-in-law wanted me to read it. Prior to her reading it, Becky (Ali's sister) told her about it. These two ladies read like it's going out of style. They have AMAZING vocabulary.

The book is a little over 200 pages. The best 200 pages you will have read in a long time.
Anybody have a good book to recommend??? I'm starting To Kill a Mockingbird. Think I was supposed to read it in High School or something. I must have had some shopping or talking on the phone to do.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm reading a book called A Walk in the Woods. It's pretty entertaining. It's written by a guy who hiked (or attempted to) hike the Appilachian Trail. I'm almost done with it and by the time I'm through I'll probably have only read about 90% of it. How's that?! I skipped over a lot of the facts and figures. I enjoy a good dialogue, and when I see page after page of description and facts I get pretty bored. There are a lot of great one-liners where I actually laughed out loud. Overall it's a decent book. I know a lot of people who have read it and have really enojoyed it. It would probably be rated PG for language.

You've inspired me to read more!! I'll let you know what I read next. Maybe it'll be the book you just completed!

Suzanne said...

I'm reading a book called A Walk in the Woods. It's pretty entertaining. It's written by a guy who hiked (or attempted to) hike the Appilachian Trail. I'm almost done with it and by the time I'm through I'll probably have only read about 90% of it. How's that?! I skipped over a lot of the facts and figures. I enjoy a good dialogue, and when I see page after page of description and facts I get pretty bored. There are a lot of great one-liners where I actually laughed out loud. Overall it's a decent book. I know a lot of people who have read it and have really enojoyed it. It would probably be rated PG for language.

You've inspired me to read more!! I'll let you know what I read next. Maybe it'll be the book you just completed!

Suzanne said...

Ok...somehow it posted twice...I'm new at this!! ;-)

Suzanne said...

Oh my gosh! That was supposed to be a winking smily face! What the heck!!!

Rachel said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers! the absolute most amazing book i've ever read!!!! (it's based on the book of hosea). it changed me - a definite must read!!

Unknown said...

i second what rachel said!!! i have read redeeming love probably three times now!

Leilanni said...

I love to read so I'm anxious to dig into some of these books y'all have mentioned!!!

My personal favorite is still the Chronicles of Narnia books. Techinically "kid books" I guess, but they are awesome!

Just finished the Yada Yada Prayer Group. Had a hard time in the beginning - it seemed a little "goody goody" if you know what I mean but I was hooked by the middle and couldn't put it down.

Lorie said...

Becky gave me that book for Christmas. I haven't read it yet. I just finished another book so maybe I'll start that one now. I love to read, but I easily fall out of the habit. I am an unapologetic Harry Potter nerd and just finished the last book, which got me back into a reading mode. But I have to have a new book to start as soon as I finish one or I will fall out of the habit. So let me know when you read something good. I read To Kill a Mockingbird last year (Becky gave me that also). I'm sure I must've read it in school, but had forgotten it. It was great.